What if you’re hurt while riding in a car that is struck?

On Behalf of | Nov 26, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you are a passenger in a car that is struck while on a Mississippi road or highway, you may be entitled to compensation. This is generally true even if the driver of the car that you were in was liable for causing the crash to occur. Let’s take a look at the types of damages that you might be entitled to and how to pursue them.

What types of damages might you be entitled to?

Typically, you will be able to file a claim for actual damages in a personal injury case. Actual damages include medical bills incurred after the accident takes place, lost wages, and other losses that you can actually quantify. You may also be able to receive a financial award for lost future earnings, mental anguish, and other losses sustained in an accident caused by another person.

How do you go about pursuing damages?

You will likely file a civil claim against the party that caused your auto accident to take place. That person’s auto insurance company may pay some or all of the amount that you are owed. It’s also possible that the defendant in your case will be held personally liable for damages. Typically, personal injury cases are settled outside of court. However, if necessary, you may file a lawsuit assuming that you take action before the state’s statute of limitations expires.

If you are hurt in an auto accident, it’s generally possible to seek compensation for your losses. It may be possible to use cellphone records, toxicology reports, or other evidence to show that you were injured because another person violated his or her duty of care toward you.

If you have been injured as a result of a car accident, you should consult with an experienced attorney who handles these specific types of cases.