Can medical malpractice lead to cerebral palsy in Mississippi?

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2022 | Medical Malpractice

Medical malpractice can lead to a number of injuries, including cerebral palsy. If you or your child has been injured as a result of medical negligence, it is important to know the steps to take to protect your legal rights.

What is cerebral palsy?

Cerebral palsy is a neurological disorder that affects movement and muscle tone. It’s caused by a brain injury or malformation that occurs before, during or shortly after birth. Cerebral palsy can range from mild to severe, and it can affect one or more limbs.

How can medical malpractice cause cerebral palsy?

There are a number of ways that medical malpractice can lead to cerebral palsy. For example, if a doctor fails to properly monitor a pregnant woman’s health, it can result in oxygen deprivation to the developing baby’s brain. This can cause brain damage and lead to cerebral palsy. Additionally, if a doctor performs a delivery without taking proper precautions, it can also result in cerebral palsy.

What should you do if you suspect medical malpractice?

The first step is to report the incident to the proper authorities, such as the hospital where the malpractice occurred. You should also consider reporting the issue to the Mississippi Board of Medical Licensure. This organization may investigate the claim and take disciplinary action against the doctor if they find that malpractice occurred. You can also file a medical malpractice lawsuit to recover damages for your child’s injuries, which can include medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more.

Cerebral palsy is a serious condition that can have a lifelong impact on a child. If you believe that your child’s cerebral palsy was caused by the negligence of a medical professional, it is important to take action to protect your legal rights. By taking these steps, you can help ensure that your child receives the justice they deserve.

If your child has been injured as a result of a negligent health professional, you should consult with an experienced attorney who handles these specific types of cases.